Fellowship is so far a very worthwhile experience and definitely an upgrade from residency. I now have my own office, a secretary and business cards in my name. But it also comes with a lot more responsability. I am in charge of a 15 bed unit, 3 residents, 12 students, have clinic 2 afternoons a week and spend most of my “free” time working on a couple research projects. I have nothing against the extra responsabities, I thrive on it. But I came to realize that responsability = time (more time at work, less time with my sweet husband and even less at the gym). Consequently I’ve been having a hard time dealing with other aspects of my life except work!
As 2010 just started, I thought it was time to refocus! When work gets so busy, I believe that getting organized is the key to a healthier life and … a happier marriage.
There are many changes that I know I need to make in order to feel balanced and complete. So here are my goals to 2010:
- Workout consistently: my hospital has a really neat gym and I am sure I can sneak in 3-4 workouts a week. It’ll make me feel more energetic and more confident.
- Keep preparing lunches/snacks for the husband and I. It is the best way to ensure that he and I eat the healthiest foods we can all day long, and never go hungry.
- Drink MORE water!!!! This is a big one for me as I’m naturally part camel, but I’ll try. I promise.
- Sleep 7 hours a night.
- Learn to be even more efficient at work and prioritize. Learn to say NO sometimes!
- Stress less over small stuff, not worth it.
- And finally spend more quality time with my husband. There are a lot of things we would like to do together regularly (like watch movies, attend shows or listen to music) and I need to be more available!
So today was Day 1, “La rentrée” like the French say. And I am pretty proud of myself.
Prepare Lunches/ Snacks: Check!
This weekend I went to the organic food store and got a bunch of good stuff.
I recently got tired of deli meats. Too much salt. So this weekend I cooked 10 chicken breasts in my crockpot, then seasonned and shredded them, and placed them in a tight container in the fridge. It’ll be used for our lunches throughout the week.
This morning, all I had to do was put together lunches:
I did the husband’s first:
I also added 2 bananas and 1 yogurt and voilà!
I was next:
I also packed a protein shake which I enjoyed pre-workout.
Drink more water: check!
I had about 2 liters today which is a lot for me!
Here is what I did:
- Shoulder press: 4×10
- Lateral raises: 4×10
- Hanging knee raises: 4×10
- Bent over rows: 4×10
- Pull ups (assisted): 2×10
- Stepmill: 20 min HIIT
It made me feel so good!
Spend time with the husband: check!
Monday is usually the worst day of the week for me. There is so much going on, so much needing to get done. I made it home around 8:30pm. But Travis and I had a great conversation, and I made a pretty decent dinner, for a monday…
Roasted veggies and chicken “Millefeuille”:
- Frozen roasted bell pepper, eggplant and zucchini (reheated in the microwave)
- Shredded chicken breast (which I prepared yesterday)
- Lowfat feta (love that stuff)
- Jumbo Farm raised chicken eggs (the 2 I used had double yolks… sweet!)
- Stack 1 slice of eggplant, 2-3 strips of zuchini and 1 slice of bell pepper
- Add 1/4 cup chicken breast on top
- Crumble 1 square inch of Low fat feta
- Then add one over-easy fried egg on top
This was ready in 10 minutes! And it was delicious!
Sleep 7 hours: probably won’t happen 😦 Oh well….
It’s time to go to bed actually! So good night yall!
What are your main goals for 2010? I’d love to hear from you!!!